ICN translabel trouble

AMRUT S BHOGLE AMRUT at UCSVAX.UCS.UMASS.EDU
Wed Nov 2 17:21:49 EST 1994

Dear Readers,

	I have been using ICN Tran35S-label (35S L-methionine) tolabel my
actively growing cells.  This batch I bought is Lot No. 183:358.     Reference
 date August 11, 1994.  I am horrified to see that the proteins labeled have
energy in the excitation range of tritium instead of the 35S (Using a
scintillation counter -- I have used two seperate ones --each individually
calibrated to check for effeciency).  ICN swears that they just couldn't have
made any mistake.  I was wondering if the disintegration pathway leads to a
tritiated by-product -- which doesn't seem to be the case.  (quenching effects
 have been taken  into account and the shift in the excitation range cannot
be accounted for.)

	I would be very grateful if somebody could try and help me figure out
What has been happening.  I wonder if somebody else who has used the same batch
(Lot number) has had a similar problem and/or if this has happened to somebody
somewhere before me.

	Thanks!!!!!!!!!

	Amrut