Luciferase sensitive to dilution

aeschba at fmi.ch aeschba at fmi.ch
Thu Nov 3 11:57:06 EST 1994

Dear netters,

In my transfections I obtained unproportionally poor luciferase readings in
samples where I had only few cells left (e.g. 5- 10% confluency, 60 ul reporter
lysis buffer in one well of a 24 well plate).
Promega answered that luciferase is indeed sensitive to dilution in the reporter
lysis buffer (RLB). The cell culture lysis reagent however has a higher
detergent concentration and luciferase is more stable. So, for cells that are
washed away easily during transfection you might want to think about reducing
the amount of RLB, or increase the cell density to begin with, or include some
BSA in your buffer.
Just wanted to share that information
Yours sincerely

Dr. Roger Aeschbacher