Question on chillies

Nigel Eastmond nce at rri.sari.ac.uk
Thu Nov 3 04:20:11 EST 1994

DE ANGELIS,DINO (BG2Z000 at CA.MCGILL.MUSICB) wrote:
: In article <395p56$k80 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> ROGERSH <hilary.rogers at afrc.ac.uk> writes:
: >Netters - I have often found that deep scientific questions to the net often
: >go unanswered, while those of a more whimsical nature generate many replies.
: >Anyway, to help prove this to myself I would be grateful for any answers to
: >the following question (which has troubled myself and others over many beers):
: >What is the name of the scientific unit for the degree of hotness of a chilli
: >and, more importantly, how is it measured? Does an international standard exist?Sorry, thats three questions.
: >.
: >.
: the fiery sensation which chili peppers cause is due to capsaicin, a
: potent chemical which survives both cooking and freezing processes.
: The amount of capsaicin present in a chili determines its fieriness.
: In addition to causing a burning sensation, this substance triggers
: brain to produce endorphins-natural painkillers that promote a sense
: of well being and stimulation. Chilis are classified on a scale of 0
: (bell peppers) to 10 (habanero-handle this baby with gloves, people: it
: is 30 to 50 times hotter that the jalapeno!!!)

: Dino De Angelis
: McGill University
: Biochemistry Dept.
: 3655 Drummond St.
: Montreal QC H3G 1Y6
: CANADA

But what about units?  How about Sombreros?

--
News Administrator,                   |  JANET: <news at uk.ac.sari.rri>
Rowett Research Institute,            |  other: <news at rri.sari.ac.uk>