a problem in protein purification

yuling luo yluo at POBOX.UPENN.EDU
Thu Nov 3 11:05:45 EST 1994

Hi there,

I am trying to purify a myc-tagged recombinant protein (pI=7.6, 100 kd)
from the supernatant of baculovirus-infected insect cells. I first
enriched the protein on a cation exchange column, which worked out fine.
I then loaded the eluate into an anti-myc monoclonal affinity column and
eluted the column with 0.1 M glycine pH 2.5. I found that most of the
myc-tagged protein bound to the affinity column. But the eluted protein
is in precipitated form. It become obvious when I netralize the elute to
netral pH with Tris buffer. Then I would just see a big white precipitate
forming. I also tried high pH elution buffer. The eluted protein is still
precipitated. My questions are 1) could this be the problem of the
affinity column itself? (if it is, I could try different ways to purify
it) 2) Could this be the protein's problem? (ie, the protein will
aggregate in the absence of other proteins, if this is the case, I am
hopeless. 3) anyone out there has similar experience?

Your advice is much appreciated.     yl