Stability of Heparin

B Stickney sticknbd at miranda.cc.vanderbilt.edu
Thu Nov 3 14:55:56 EST 1994

In article <393iuv$fhk at owl.csrv.uidaho.edu>, raman913 at uidaho.edu (Ramanujam
Raman) wrote:
 > Dear Netters,
> I have been using Heparin as non-specific competitor in my gel-retardation
> assays at the concentration of 10 ug per 15 ul reaction.  I had made up
> a 20 ug/ul stock about 6 months ago and had it stored at 4^C.  I have had
> very good specifc shifts so far. Unfortunately, it isn't working now. In
> the process of trouble shooting the problem, I was wondering about the
> stability of heparin at 4^C.  Is this storage temperature ideal for heparin
> in solution?  Or does it need to be at freezer temperatures? Also, if anyone
> out there has been using it for gel-retardation assays, is there preference
> for any particular salt of the compound? I have been using the sodium salt
> of heparin.
 Ramanujam Raman:
We aliquot our heparin and freeze it.  Although we use it in cell culture
experiments,
not in gel retardation, my lab would not consider using it if it were not a
fresh vial.
This may or may not make a difference in your case, and I'm not even sure
it's
critical for us; it's just how we've always done it.
B Stickney