UV Source for SYBR GREEN?

J.Carnwath carnwath at tzv.fal.de
Fri Nov 4 06:10:07 EST 1994

Greetings:

Could someone who is using SYBR GREEN 1 for Gel photography tell me what
they are using as a 254 UV light source?

The technical information from Molecular Probes Inc. states that 254 nm
epi-illumination is better than 300 nm transillumination.  We need to
purchase a UV source to properly evaluate the SYBR GREEN and could
purchase an epi-source if this is better.  I imagine that if the UV
filter on the camera is not 100% effective, epi-illumination would be
better, especially for the higher energy 254 source.

Any opinions or first hand experience?

Thanks,

		Joe

Joseph Carnwath					carnwath at tzv.fal.de