How to Calculate Oligo MW?

Eric C. Anderson anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
Fri Nov 4 13:07:03 EST 1994

In article <1994Nov3.140526.1 at mcvax4.d48.lilly.com>,
books at mcvax4.d48.lilly.com wrote:

> We are looking for a formula to calculate the exact MW for oligonucleotides.
> The oligo will have a 5'-hydroxy group. We can estimate oligonucleotide MW
> if we use 330 as the average MW for each base but we need a exact number.
> Thanks DPSMITH smith_dennis_p at lilly.com

i don't have a formula, but if you have a Mac, you can get a Hypercard
Stack called HC Oligo 1.0 from the EMBL gopher site at
gopher://gopher.gdb.org:71/1ftp%3afelix.embl-heidelberg.de%40/pub/.  this
is there molecular biology software site and it actually has some very
interesting things.  HC Oligo also calculates molar and mg/ml concentration
when given an A260.  simple but helpful.

eric

--
*Of course it's not true...         *
anderson at pharmdec.wustl.edu
washington univ. school of medicine              (314)862-2435 (home)
660 s. euclid box 8103                           (314)362-7058 (FAX)
st. louis, mo 63110