Soliciting Comments on Sequence Analysis Software

Richard R. Hardy hardy at
Sun Nov 6 18:40:19 EST 1994

In article <ngsee-041194145357 at>,
ngsee at (John Ngsee) wrote:

> In article <3994qu$ao9 at>, jddecker at
> (Jim Decker) wrote:
> > I am soliciting comments on sequence analysis software that is personal
> > computer based.  We are currently using GCG on the vax and find it
> > quite cumbersome and overall difficult to use.  I have sent away for a
> > thirty day trial of the Intelligenetics PC/Gene.  I can use either a
> > MAC or Dos-Windows format.
> > Thanks for your help.
> I am satisfied with MacVector from IBI. It's easy to use and comes with a
> sequence assembly program. You can also subscribe to protein/nucleic acid
> database called Entrez on CD-ROM from NCBI (cost about $80-100 per year
> with 6 upgrades per year).
> --
Another vote for MacVector.  Used it for about 3 years now.  The
PCR/primer design feature (added in last upgrade) is a big plus for me.

R. Hardy
Member, Institute for Cancer Research,
Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA
(215) 728-2463