Soliciting Comments on Sequence Analysis Software

Carl Lawyer clawyer at SIUMED.EDU
Tue Nov 8 16:12:33 EST 1994

At 10:09 AM 11/7/94 -0500, Robert Preston wrote:
>In article <hardy-0611941840190001 at mighty.facs.fccc.edu>,
>hardy at mighty.fccc.edu (Richard R. Hardy) wrote:
>> > --
>> Another vote for MacVector.  Used it for about 3 years now.  The
>> PCR/primer design feature (added in last upgrade) is a big plus for me.
>>
>Yet another vote for IBI/Kodak's MacVector: used it two years, the Entrez is
>convenient, find it amazingly user-friendly and bug-free.  REBase at New
>England Biolabs is working on format for direct entry of their restriction
>enzyme database into the MacVector program.  They have about four times as
>many RE as our new MacVector version.
>
>--
>Robert Preston                           Dept. of Pathology
>rapr at med.pitt.edu                  Univ. of Pittburgh 15261
>The ideas and opinions are shareware.  Register at whatever
>level you can afford - no charge for upgrades, ever.

comparing IBI/Kodak's MacVector & DNAStar's Lasergene: I have both and find
DNAStar much more powerful and userfriendly. The primer design program of
DNAStar Lasergene is much more sophisticated than  Macvector.
Carl Lawyer
SIU School of Medicine
Springfield, IL