advice on phosphorimager purchase

John Brunstein brunstei at UNIXG.UBC.CA
Tue Nov 8 15:59:36 EST 1994

	Actually, I believe that the most sensitive screen chemistry is
that used in the Fuji instrument (they in fact hold the patent, and have
only allowed other companies to use less sensitive versions).  Be that as
it may, in our trials each of the machines had individual advantages.
The biorad was the only one which can do chemiluminesance (sp?), but it
doesn't do it very well (much less sensitive than film).  The Fuji was
the easiest to operate and had a larger screen size for the price range
than the other two, but had the least 'flexibility' in parameters.  The
MD machine was harder to use than the Fuji, but had the flexibilty of the
Bio-Rad without the really clumsy screen cassette system it suffers from.
	If you really want a comprehensive overview of user opinions I
would search the archives of this newsgroup for 'phosphoimager'...this
will return quite a list of postings, many of which i found educational
during our deliberations over which system to get.
 John Brunstein               No, I DON'T have
Grad student                  a nifty sig file......
UBC Biochemistry