Homemade GeneClean kits ???

Simon Dawson mbxspd at unicorn.nott.ac.uk
Tue Nov 8 06:58:55 EST 1994

We make and use our own home-made 'Gene-clean' kits on a regular basis
here. The original reference we have is Vogelstein & Gillespie (1979)
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci Vol.76(2) pp615-619.
Our protocol is an adaptation of the one described in this paper.
The solutions we use are:
1) 6M NaI, 0.1% sodium thiosulphate
2) 4.5M NaI, 0.1% sodium thiosulphate
3) TE, pH8, 100mM NaCl, 70% absolute ethanol

We store all solutions at 4¡C.
For the glass 'beads', we use a finely crushed scintillation vial i.e
high quality glass.
All reagents in the above solutions were of the highest quality
available. This is especially important for the NaI. Using the above
reagents we havn't ever needed to filter the NaI solutions through
glass fiber filters.
If you require a detailed protocol, drop me a line via email and I will
send you one :)

Simon Dawson,
Dept. Biochemistry,
Queens Medical Centre,