Level 2 Biosafety

PMacklon macklon at acs.ucalgary.ca
Wed Nov 9 19:41:02 EST 1994

> 1.  Is anyone familiar with the requirements of level 2 biosafety, or
> does anyone know where I can find the information?
>
> 2.  Is there anyone out there that has worked in level 2 labs that can
> comment on the experience?  In particular, is this something that we
> really want to get into.

Yes, level 2 is essentially good lab technique with the ability to contain
"hazardous" (through aerosolization primarily) procedures within a
biohazard cabinet.
Nearly every hospital lab is a level 2, as are most microbiology research
labs.  It is not something to be unduly concerned about IMHO.

Here is where you can get the precise information:

"Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories", US Dept. of
Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for Disease
Control and National Institutes of Health - HHS Publication# (NIH)88-8395.

Available from the Superintendent of Documents, US Gov't. Printing Office,
Washington DC, 20402

This publication describes in detail the standards and operating practices
that are necessary to constitute Biosafety Level 1 through 4.

Good luck, nuthin to worry about.

Peter