Level 2 Biosafety

Allergan kedziekm at class.class.org
Wed Nov 9 14:43:12 EST 1994

Our group is considering using the Gibco Semliki Forest Virus system for
expression of cDNAs in tissue culture cells.  Gibco will not sell the
helper plasmid for viral packaging without the appropriate biosafety
forms assuring that a level 2 biosafety room is available.

My questions are:

1.  Is anyone familiar with the requirements of level 2 biosafety, or
does anyone know where I can find the information?

2.  Is there anyone out there that has worked in level 2 labs that can
comment on the experience?  In particular, is this something that we
really want to get into.

Thanks,

Karen Kedzie, Ph.D.

Allergan Pharmaceuticals, Inc.