chilis

Steve Konings skonings at post.its.mcw.edu
Thu Nov 10 14:48:11 EST 1994

: Hi,
: Just my two cents.  Capsicum is actually any pepper of the genus "Capsicum"
: which is of the nightshade family.  Here in Austrlia capsicum usually refers to
: what North Americans call bell pepper.  Capasaicin can be isolated from various
: "Capsicums".  It is a phenolic amide C18H27NO3.
: 	If you really want to make something SUPER hot, do an EtOH extraction
: of habejeros (sp?).  This can be evaporated and concetrated further.  The other
: wonder thing about this EtOH-hot sauce is that the ethanol breaks down mucosal
: barriers in the mouth, thus bypassing this protective effect. Be careful
: though, even smelling this stuff can make your nose burn.  How do I know you
: ask? I made some.  Never could eat it though.  It was too damn painful.
: Cheers,
: Allen Black
: Dept. of Pathology
: Univ. of Newcastle

Maybe this EtOH extraction explains the chili-beer that is available.

Steve