Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D. alt Stephen_Lasky at
Thu Nov 10 09:19:13 EST 1994

In article <smh1008-091194125934 at>,
smh1008 at (David S. Huen) wrote:

> On another note, being a hot food junkie, what is a habanero and where in
> the scale do those tiny little Thai chillies fit?

My best recollection of the Smithsonian Mag that rated habenero's is that
it has a S value of something like 300,000 or 500,000 compared to a
halepeno which has an S value of about 5000. They didn't rank thai chili's
but my experience is that the heat is different.  Habenero's are much
hotter but the heat lasts for a shorter time.

(Sorry if my organization line is still screwed up. I have tried to fix it
but it not clear what is wrong.