U937 monocyte suspension culture adhering to flask. Why?!

Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D. alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.blondes alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.d alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.female alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.male alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.orientals alt.binaries.pictures.fine-art.d alt Stephen_Lasky at brown.edualt.fan.hello-kittyalt.fan.hofstadteralt.fan.holmesalt.fan.howard-sternalt.fan.howard-stern.fartmanalt.fan.hurricane.yipalt.fan.itchy-n-scratchyalt.fan.james-bondalt.fan.jello-biafraalt.fan.jen-
Fri Nov 11 15:35:26 EST 1994

In article <39vjpt$ekm at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, psansom at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk (Mr. P.A.
Sansom) wrote:

> OK, to set the scene
> Little me growing U937 monocytic cell line in
>     RPMI 1640
> with
>     2mM L-glutamine
>     5% heat inactivated fetal calf serum
>     5% CO2 humidified
> in
>     Falcon tissue culture flasks (plastics)
>
> Problem is that they have started adhering to the plastic of the flask, making
> it hard to harvest them as intact cells for my expts

Paul, in my experience U937's become adherent when they begin to
differentiate into monocyte like cells.  I do this on purpose to study the
effects of vitamin D3.  Also happens with TPA, DMSO, RA and other agents
(although not necessarily towards monocytes).  I have also seen this
happen in U937, HL60 and CML cell cultures that have been carried for a
long time.  Maybe defrosting a new vial of U937's would solve the problem.

SRLasky

--
Roger Williams Medical Center/Brown University