Purine Rich Region in Promoter

Mike Powell mpowell at lmgvax.nichd.nih.gov
Fri Nov 11 09:22:50 EST 1994

In article <9411111035.AA20017 at mailgate.roche.com>,
mitcheld at rocbi.DNET.roche.com (DAVID MITCHELL) wrote:

> Dear Netters,
>
> I have a fungal gene that contains a purine (thats A's and G's folks) rich
> region upstream of the translated region.  It's probably just before the
> transcription start site(s) but I have not mapped them for sure.  There is
> certainly a lot of literature about pyrimidine (CT) rich regions in yeast and
> fungal promotors but I can't find any reference to purine rich rigions.
>
> The Question:  Has anybody heard of such a region before, anywhere?
>
> Many thanks and have a nice weekend.
>
> David
> Mitcheld at rocbi.dnet.roche.com
> phone +41 61 688 3204
> fax   +41 61 688 1645

David,

  In retroviruses there is a region known as the poly purine
tract (PPT).  It serves as a primer for + strand DNA synthesis.
Likely this is not related to your case but you did say "anywhere" :)

-mike-

When the going gets tough, I fall behind.
Mike Powell, PhD
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics
National Institutes of Health
Bldg 6B  Rm 216