ISOLATION OF RNA FROM PLANTS - METHODOLOGY QUESTION

Ed Davis edd at OSUUNX.UCC.OKSTATE.EDU
Sat Nov 12 17:34:08 EST 1994

> I AM ABOUT TO PURIFY TOTAL RNA FROM GOSSYPIUM (COTTON) AND AM PLANNING TO FOLLOW
 A METHOD OUTLINED BRIEFLY IN NUCLEIC ACIDS RESEARCH BY MALIYAKAL E. JOHN OF AGRACETUS,
 INC.(VOL 20, NO9, page 2381) WHICH IS
> PREFERABLE FOR PLANTS WHICH ARE HIGH IN POLYPHENOLICS. BRIEFLY, THE RNA WAS GROUND
 IN LIQUID NITROGEN, HOMOGENIZED IN THE PRESENCE OF A BUFFER CONTAINING,
 AMONG OTHER THINGS, PVP, FILTERED AND THEN COLLECTED FOLLOWING CENTRIFUGATION
 IN CESIUM CHLORIDE BY THE METHOD OF CHIRGWIN. IT WAS THEN FURTHER PURIFIED BY
 PHENOL:CHLOROFORM EXTRACTIONS AND PRECIPITATIONS IN THE PRESENCE OF AMMONIUM ACETATE
 AS DESCRIBED BY CROUSE AND AMORESE FOR DNA (1987, FOCUS, VOL9, 3-5).  I AM HAVING
 TROUBLE OBTAINING THIS ARTI
> F ANYONE IS
 FAMILIAR WITH THIS METHOD I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR HELP AND ADVICE.
> ANY OTHER
 CONSTRUCTIVE ADVICE WOULD BE  WELCOME.  THE RNA WILL BE USED FOR SPECIFIC
 AMPLIFICATION BY PCR.RESPOND TO:EDD at OSUUNX.UCC.OKSTATE.EDU