chilis

kitchingman at mbcf.stjude.org kitchingman at mbcf.stjude.org
Sat Nov 12 10:37:15 EST 1994

      Why do different chili pepper sauces cause the burning sensation in
different areas of the oropharynx?  Hot mustard sauces cause me to breath fire
through my nose, while most hot sauces burn throughout the mouth.  Certain Thai
and Vietnamese dishes that I have had provide a distinct hot buzz to my lips.
An answer so that I can impress friends with my knowledge of Scoville units,
excitory neurons, etc. next time we eat at a Thai restaurant would be
appreciated.

Geoff Kitchingman