DNAse or nuclease assay

mike grove MJG177 at psuvm.psu.edu
Sun Nov 13 09:16:51 EST 1994

I'm trying to find an assay for dnase or nuclease activity in lepidopteran
gut fluid.  The literature on the subject refers to checking absorbance at
260nm.  However, the technique is (or was) apparently so common that no one
referenced a specific protocol.  I understand that the absorbance changes,
but I'm not sure if it increases or decreases, or if I need to add an add
itional dye to properly visualize this.  My advisor suggested I try this,
but he wasn't clear on specifics either, and noone else in our lab has heard
of this at all.  Thanks for your help, Mike.