DNAse or nuclease assay

Robert Preston rapr at med.pitt.edu
Mon Nov 14 15:37:29 EST 1994

In article <94317.091651MJG177 at psuvm.psu.edu>, mike grove
<MJG177 at psuvm.psu.edu> wrote:

> I'm trying to find an assay for dnase or nuclease activity in lepidopteran
> gut fluid.  The literature on the subject refers to checking absorbance at
> 260nm.

I'm sure you can find the refs in Methods in Enzymology, or "the Enzymes"
ed by P.D. Boyer.

If you don't need precise quantitation, have you considered using supercoiled
plasmid nicking/linearization/degradation as a assay? (need to run agarose
or acryl gels, EtBr-stained, after quenching reactions at various times
using EDTA.  EXTREMELY sensitive assay, check it out, if you need
sensitivity rather than precise quantitation (well, you could scan the
gels or photos and do it quantitatively, too, if you wanted)

Robert Preston                                    rapr at med.pitt.edu
U. Pittsburgh Pathology Dept.                   Pittsburgh PA 15261
vox 412-648-9573                                   fax 412-648-1916
The ideas and opinions are not necessarily original, but the
distribution constitutes postcardware. Send me a colorful stamp.