Sequencing Gel Fixation

Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D. alt Stephen_Lasky at
Mon Nov 14 12:54:19 EST 1994

In article <tsute.267.000B56F6 at>,
tsute at (Tsute Chen) wrote:

> I've heard that the fixation step (with 10% acetic acid & 10% methanol)
can be
> skipped without much difference in the result during the normal Sanger's DNA
> sequencing procedures. Does anyone have any experience or opinion about this?
> Tsute Chen                  E-mail: tsute at
> Department of Microbiology
> University of Massachusetts
> Box 35720
> Amherst, MA 01003-5720

We never fix our gels anymore although, as you are likely to hear, not
doing so can lead to sticky gels.  We found that if you dry the gel for an
hour at 70 deg C and then continue drying for 10 or 15 min's without heat
that the gels aren't sticky.