SmaI/XmaI digests

George Theodoris ez003450 at bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu
Mon Nov 14 19:07:08 EST 1994

Dr. Pamela Norton (P_Norton at CALVIN.JCI.TJU.EDU) wrote:
:         I am literally tearing my hair out over this one. Does anyone know
: whether Sma tends to nibble 5' or 3' ends?

Answer is: Yes. From what I understand it can be lot dependent. Where do
you get your Sma from? I was doing a similar experiment a couple of
months ago and it worked fine for me. Sequencing revealed no bases were
chewed back. However before the experiment I was made aware that SmaI is
notorious for chewing back bases, so I was very careful about the amount of
Sma I added and the source of the Sma I was using. We get our Sma from New
England Biolabs. Their Sma is purified from recombinant E. coli and is
less likely to have DNAses than lots purified from Serratia. Check and
see if the Sma you are using is purified from recombinant E. coli or
Serratia. Even so, one of the NEB people told me that all lots of SmaI
contain traces of DNAses that can chew back bases. You have to add the
minimal amount of SmaI needed to cut your DNA. Adding more enzyme than
you need will increase the concentration of DNAses and make chewing back
more likely.

: In other words, would it help if
: we try to refill any nibbled ends before ligation?

This might help. But I would think you should be able to get a batch of
Sma that works. Good luck!		-George