"LONG" RT/PCR

Steve Wylie wylie at CSUVAX1.MURDOCH.EDU.AU
Mon Nov 14 03:05:26 EST 1994

Has anyone tried RT/PCR from RNA of 10Kb or longer? I have been trying to
do this with the potyvirus (BYMV) I work with but with no success. 4Kb is
no problem providing the RT reaction is allowed to proceed for 3-4 hr. I
suspect the RT to be the limiting step so have tried M-MLV and AMV RT's
with no luck. I don't use a special long PCR kit, I've just added some
Pfu to the Taq and 8% glycerol and 1.5% DMSO to the mix, as well as
reducing to denaturation time to 10sec. Any comments gratefully accepted.
Steve Wylie, Murdoch University, Western Australia