pET and ampicillin

jim hartley jhartley at access4.digex.net
Tue Nov 15 06:44:06 EST 1994

	We have used methicillin for several years to inhibit lactamase.
We use 100 ug/ml amp and 200 ug/ml methicillin in plates, but I
understand that some use 20 amp and 80 meth.  Methicillin is much cheaper
than carbenicillin, and does a good job of suppressing satellite
colonies.  I'd be careful using it in broth cultures-I tried it once and
I thought my miniprep yields were low.

Jim Hartley
Life Technologies, Inc.
Gaithersburg, MD USA