PCR with radioactive nucleotides

Klaus.Matthaei at ANU.EDU.AU Klaus.Matthaei at ANU.EDU.AU
Wed Nov 16 16:52:52 EST 1994

>ROSS at SCI.WFEB.EDU wrote:
>
>: We have been doing PCR with S35 nucleotides and have just found that
>: the PCR block is heavily contaminated.  The manufacturer of the PCR
>: says that S35 can go through the walls of the tube.  This is a little
>: hard for me to believe.  I wonder if some tubes do not seal properly.
>: In any case,  have other people had this problem and is there any
>: way to avoid this type of contamination??
>
>:                                       Alonzo Ross
>:                                       Worcester Foundation
>:                                       ROSS at SCI.WFEB.EDU
>
>Hi!
>
>I have used 33P-dCTP (DuPont) for my primer extension ( :) ) experiments
>and have not had any major contamination problems (none with the
>thermal cycler).
>
>Timo Hiltunen
>Univ. of Tampere

This topic was discussed some time ago.

With the tubes we used I can definetly see that S35 DOES go THROUGH the
walls of the thin tubes but P33 does not.  This also aplies to the 96 well
plates for cyclers.

Cheers, Klaus

Klaus Matthaei
Head, Gene Targeting                            |           |
The John Curtin School of Medical Research      |  _--_|\   |
The Australian National University              | /      \  |
Snail mail: Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia       | \_.--._/<<|
E-mail: Klaus.Matthaei at anu.edu.au               |       v   |
Landline: 61 6 249 3782
                        "Sometimes I'm the Louisville slugger"
                        "Sometimes I'm the Ball"