PCR with radioactive nucleotides

Carlisle Landel landel at helios
Wed Nov 16 10:39:47 EST 1994

In article <01HJIHQKNE6Q002FLF at sci.wfeb.edu>,  <ROSS at SCI.WFEB.EDU> wrote:

>We have been doing PCR with S35 nucleotides and have just found that
>the PCR block is heavily contaminated.  The manufacturer of the PCR
>says that S35 can go through the walls of the tube.  This is a little
>hard for me to believe.  I wonder if some tubes do not seal properly.
>In any case,  have other people had this problem and is there any
>way to avoid this type of contamination??

It turns out that 35S breaks down and outgasses and contaminates all sorts
of things (incubators, pcr machines).  You have to figure out some way to
seal the tubes, tho if it is going thru the walls (which I doubt too, but
who knows?), you're stuck.  Maybe one of those capillary PCR machines would
prevent the problem.