New DNA stain

Keith G. Weinstock kgweinst at tigr.org
Wed Nov 16 10:02:08 EST 1994

In article <hindges-161194112310 at 130.60.120.10>, hindges at vetbio.unizh.ch
(Robert Hindges) wrote:

> Hi Netters
>
> Recently I have seen a picture of a agarose gel, where the DNA was stained
> with a substance called SybrGreen. It is not toxic and it only stains the
> DNA, not the gel, therefore it is much nicer to work with than with EtBr.
> Does anybody knows more about this stain, i.e. where to buy or how much it
> costs?

Two forms of SYBR Green are availible. SYBR Green I is recommended for DNA
and SYBR Green II is recommended for single-stranded nucleic acids
(including RNA). Both can be used with a standard UV transilluminator (300
nm) but are much more sensitive when used with a 254 nm illuminator
(typically an epi-illuminator). The manufactuer recommends appropriate
care be taken while handling the dyes. The dyes are sold by:

Molecular Probes, Inc.
4849 Pitchford Avenue
Eugene, OR 97402-9144
U.S.A.
Voice: (503) 465-8300
FAX: (503) 344-6504

My July 1994 price list shows SYBR Green I (Catalogue Number S-7567, 1 ml
in DMSO) for $195 and SYBR Green II (Catalogue Number S-7568, 1 ml in
DMSO) for $195). The manufacturer recommends a 1:5000 or 1:10000 dilution
for staining.In addition, you will need to purchase a green photographic
filter Catalogue Number S-7569, $29) to photo the gels.

Keith G. Weinstock
kgweinst at tigr.org
The Institute for Genomic Research
932 Clopper Road
Gaithersburg, MD 20878
Voice: (301) 869-9056
FAX: (301) 869-9423

The opinions given here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of
my employer