SmaI/XmaI digests

rpgrant at rpgrant at
Wed Nov 16 05:30:34 EST 1994

In article <9411142223.AA04169 at>, P_Norton at CALVIN.JCI.TJU.EDU (Dr. Pamela Norton) writes:
> Bionetters,
>         As the subject line says, we have been having terrible problems
> getting  a SmaI fragment re-subcloned;

>         I am literally tearing my hair out over this one. Does anyone know
> whether Sma tends to nibble 5' or 3' ends? In other words, would it help if
> we try to refill any nibbled ends before ligation? I'm thinking of

SmaI is a B****r of an enzyme for uncontrolled digestion of the blunt ends it
produces.  My advice is to digest with a _minimum_ amount of enzyme for the
_minimum_ amount of time - for plasmids that works out at 2 X overdigestion
and 1 h at 25C  <---- note the temperature!!  Then run some on a gel to check
you've got digestion, and it is best to then do a prep gel to retrieve
digested insert.  Don't worry about any that hasn't cut, it's not worth the
hassle in the long run.
And again, I'd use BSA (0.15 mg/ml) and spermidine (2mM) in the rx buffer.

Best of luck,

Richard P. Grant
University of Oxford, Nuffield Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
John Radcliffe Hospital Maternity Department, Headington
rpgrant at       <><                FAX +44 1 865 69141