DNA analysis programs (lack of)

Mic Chaudoir mic at nwu.edu
Wed Nov 16 16:09:45 EST 1994

In article <199411152320.RAA18837 at mail.utexas.edu>,
kbrowning at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU (Karen Browning) wrote:

> Since a large number of DNA analysis program users are obviously unhappy
> with what is available (myself included, I want PC compatable programs),
> isn't there someone out there who will listen to what the scientists want
> and program it?   I really like Microgenie from Beckman, it is user
> friendly, does very good manipulations of sequence, merges etc., but was
> terminated for some unknown reason (rumor had it that Intellegenetics bought
> it out and deep sixed it).
>
> What we scientists want is a versatile, easy to use program that is
> intuitive for the non-computer expert and does everything for about $500.
> Grant money does not grow on trees.  Here is the challenge, someone out
> there take it.  We will gladly provide you with lists of features that are
> wanted.

Lasergene by DNAstar will do everything you want, and more.  I have seen
the demo, and it is the only program that i would buy.  The others pale in
comparison.  It is pricey, but it is available in Mac and PC forms.  I
called them about a PPC version, but they had nothing to say at the time.

--
mic
mic at nwu.edu

"DOS is proof that PC users can take a joke"