Panhandle PCR

Dick Beeman beeman at
Thu Nov 17 12:16:24 EST 1994

In article <01HJCPE4CRO28WW3GK at>,

> We are attempting to use "Panhandle PCR" Jones et al, PCR Methods 2:
> 197,1993 to walk a DNA stretch.  Does anyone have any experience with
> this method or suggestions about possible pitfalls??
> Thanks
> Bob Harrison

Bob:  Do yourself a favor, and use the "universal PCR" method for PCR
walking, rather than panhandle PCR.  Universal PCR is incredibly easy, and
actually works.  There was a discussion of the method in this newsgroup a
few months ago.  Consult Sarkar's article in PCR Methods & Applications
2:318 (1993) for a description of the method.  He calls it "Restriction
site PCR".
Dick Beeman
beeman at
"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries".  A. A. Milne