pH management

Robert Preston rapr at med.pitt.edu
Fri Nov 18 15:33:13 EST 1994

In article <9411181327.aa24926 at cbdcom.apgea.army.mil>,
rxyoung at CBDA9.APGEA.ARMY.MIL (Ronald Young) wrote:

> There is a large drop in pH in the enzyme reaction I am studying that
> cannot be controlled by the buffer in use because of the large release
> in H+....I am sure others have faced this problem and I would appreciate any
> suggestions.

Hmmm.  Even 50 mM buffer at it's pK should sop up 10 mM H+ with no drastic
pH change.
You must need to make molar amounts of product for some reason???  OK,
throw in some
limestone and put it under partial vacuum to suck off CO2.  Course, you'd
have to tolerate
Ca2+ in amounts half as much as the protons you generate, but I guess .1
Molar Ca2+
isn't as nasty as .2M H+, as a rule.

Robert Preston                                    rapr at med.pitt.edu
U. Pittsburgh Pathology Dept.                   Pittsburgh PA 15261
vox 412-648-9573                                   fax 412-648-1916
The ideas and opinions are not necessarily original, but the
distribution constitutes postcardware. Send me a colorful stamp.