RNA storage in guanidinium isothiocyanate

Robert Hewitt rhewitt at HELIX.NIH.GOV
Sat Nov 19 19:43:58 EST 1994

Dear Internetter,

Can anyone tell me whether RNA is stable at -70 degrees C in
guanidinium isothiocyanate solution?

I have been using the Stratagene micro RNA preparation kit for preparation
of total RNA.  This includes a denaturing solution containing guanidinium,
which is applied to the cells in the first step of the protocol.  For
convenience, it would be helpful if the cell lysate + guanidinium could be
stored at -70 after the first step. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Robert Hewitt