Help! low recovery yeild of geneclean

isaac kim ikekim at merle.acns.nwu.edu
Sat Nov 19 18:05:05 EST 1994

In article <Pine.D-G.3.91.941119175623.14780A-100000 at mucc.mahidol.ac.th>,
gscwnw at MUCC.MAHIDOL.AC.TH (Wises Namwat - SCMI - 3636183) says:

>Dear netters,
>        Geneclean II kit cat. no 1001-400 has been used for three months
>ago in my laboratory. I and the others two colleaques never get recovery
>yield more than 30%, mostly 20% and minimum is 5%. I've never examined
>whether DNA can not bind glassmilk or it can not be eluted from
>glassmilk. I try to elute in higher temperature (65'c), but I get
>nothing  better.
>        Would you please suggest some precaution or some tricks in
>processing with geneclean to make me get better recovery yield.
>        Thanks in advance.
>Wises namwat             email: gscwnw at mucc.mahidol.ac.th
>Dep. Microbiology,       Tel.66-02-2461358-74 Ext.4611
>Fac. Science,
>Mahidol University,
>Bangkok, Thailand.

i have not used gene clean kit for about six years for the simple reason
that i have found a better alternative: quiagen gel extraction kit. with
this kit, i typically get greater than 90% yield. although the kit
suggest that you do not need to use low-melt agarose, i have found that
the yield is much better with low melt agarose (with regular agarose,
the yield is approximately 60-80%). good luck with your work.

isaac kim
dept of tumor cell biology
northwestern university