What is spermidine???

Paul N Hengen pnh at fcs260c2.ncifcrf.gov
Wed Nov 16 11:52:09 EST 1994

 In article <3abvm3$t93 at noc.usfca.edu>
 padmmv00 at ac.usfca.edu (Mandalaparthy) writes:

| I was told that Spermidine helps to cut lambda DNA faster with restriction
| enzymes.  It would be helpful if anyone knows what is the function of
| spermidine and if I can make it in the lab/or need to order it.Pl e-mail to
| padmmv00 at ac.usfca.edu.

Spermidine is a polyamine which binds nonspecifically to DNA. This will not
allow your enzyme to cut "faster", but will reduce restriction digestion at
non-specific sites. You're probably better off buying it from Sigma since it's
not expensive. It would cost your far more time and effort to isolate it
yourself.

@article{Tabor1976,
author = "C. W. Tabor
     and H. Tabor",
title = "1,4-Diaminobutane (putrescine), spermidine, and spermine",
journal = "Annu. Rev. Biochem.",
volume = "45",
pages = "285-306",
year = "1976"}

@article{Pingoud1985,
author = "A. Pingoud",
title = "Spermidine increases the accuracy of type {II} restriction
endonucleases. Suppression of cleavage at degenerate, non-symmetrical sites.",
journal = "Eur. J. Biochem",
volume = "147",
pages = "105-109",
year = "1985"}