Carbohydrate against DNA

NICHOLAS THEODORAKIS ntheo at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu
Tue Nov 22 13:36:57 EST 1994

In article <3aqiqf$4td at infosrv.edvz.univie.ac.at>,
Thomas Hiesberger  <hiesi at mol.univie.ac.at> wrote:
>Hi
>
>I like to purify DNA out of chicken egg yolk. I always end up with a
>stuff that looks and behaves similar to DNA but is not DNA. I think it is
>a carbohydrate. I wonder if somebody could give me an idea how to remove
>this substance.
<snip>

>Thanks
>Thomas Hiesberger
>Institute for molecular genetics
>University Vienna

Even if you remove the mystery glop, one non-fertilized egg (=one cell)
should have only about a pg of DNA in it.  What are you planning to do
with it?  If you just need chicken DNA, why not consider blood?  Red
cells are app. 5 exp9 cells/ml, and are nucleated in birds, so one drop
(say 50 ul) should have several ug of DNA.

If you need the ovum DNA, I guess you should probably throw away the yolk
and try to find the nucleus, if possible,  I'm not a developmental
biologist, so I can't tell you how to do this, though.

					Nick

--
			Nick Theodorakis
			ntheo at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu
			Johns Hopkins Medical School, Baltimore, MD