discrepancies between cDNA and protein sequences

Cornelius Krasel krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de
Wed Nov 23 08:41:43 EST 1994

Le Pennec Jean-Paul (lepennec at univ-rennes1.fr) wrote:
> I have analysed a cDNA sequence of a protein already sequenced by
> chemical-physical analysis and I get differences of the amino acids
> composition. I'd like  to know wether i can trust 100 % the protein
> analysis or go back to my sequence.What do you think? I am looking
> forward hearing from you !

Maybe you can explain the differences by posttranslational processing
of the polypeptide chain? This would probably explain only rather
small differences (except if there is a big proteolytic cut, but then
you should be able to see a difference between apparent MW on SDS-PAGE
and calculated MW from the sequence). Big differences could be explained
by frameshift errors in the cDNA sequence. (Of course amino acid
sequencing is not fool-proof either.)

--Cornelius.

--
/* Cornelius Krasel, Abt. Lohse, Genzentrum, D-82152 Martinsried, Germany  */
/* email: krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de                 fax: +49 89 8578 3795  */