RNases A in sol. 1

Liam E Good lgood at uoguelph.ca
Wed Nov 23 16:29:13 EST 1994

Hi,

Several alkaline lysis plasmid prep. protocols have been posted where the
first solution (sol. 1, PS1, etc., which is used to resuspend the
pelleted cells) contains RNase A.  Does anyone know the first reference
for this use of RNases A.  Also, does the procedure work because the
enzyme enters the cells and degrades the RNA before the cells are lysed
with NaOH/SDS?  I can't imagine that the RNase keeps working after the
NaOH/SDS is added.

Thanks in advance.  Please reply to me, because my subscription has been
getting interrupted.

Liam