?best purification of 186bp DNA fragment from agaraose

Kimberly Ann Winkeler kwinkel at unix.cc.emory.edu
Wed Nov 23 13:02:41 EST 1994

Robert C. Colgrove (robin at alumni.caltech.edu) wrote:
: I am cloning a small (186bp) PCR product. Usually I clone larger fragments
: and purify the gel fragments with "geneclean." Their package insert
: suggests not using it for less than 200bp. In the old days, I used all
: the standard tricks: Low melt agarose, electroelution, mashing up the
: gel slice, etc. I was just wondering what people tihink is the best way
: to go about it these days. Thanks.
: 					robin colgrove

I recently purified and successfully cloned a 127bp piece of DNA using
EpiCentre's GELase.  It worked extremely well for me--I got tons of
colonies after I transformed, and of the 12 colonies I picked and
prepped, 11 were correct.  My recovery wasn't exactly anything to write
home about, but I certainly had enough to do a ligation.  I hope this helps!

Kim Winkeler
HHMI/Emory University
kwinkel at unix.cc.emory.edu

I neither work for nor have any affiliation with EpiCentre, blah, blah, blah.