Genbank comparison

Cornelius Krasel krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de
Fri Nov 25 11:24:10 EST 1994

Marc Goldstein (ez001427 at dale.ucdavis.edu) wrote:
> I typically use the PILEUP program from the Wisconsin GCG package.  If
> you don't have that available at your site, there may be public domain
> programs that can help you out.  I'll try to find out and post their
> locations

> Lol Maret (lmaret at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca) wrote:
> : Hi Mol biologists,  Does anyone know how to compare the sequence homology
> : between 3 different genes using genbank online?  I have accessed Genbank
> : to search for sequences, but would like to find the % homology for three
> : ADH genes from different plants.  I would appreciate any help or
> : suggestions. Replies may be mailed to me directly or posted. Thanks in
> : advance. Lol :-)

One program in the public domain which does multiple alignments is ClustalV.
Available e.g. from ftp.embl-heidelberg.de for PC and Unix (and Mac?).

--Cornelius.

--
/* Cornelius Krasel, Abt. Lohse, Genzentrum, D-82152 Martinsried, Germany  */
/* email: krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de                 fax: +49 89 8578 3795  */