Protean II glass breaking

Cornelius Krasel krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de
Sat Nov 26 05:19:05 EST 1994

Xiao-Ru.Wang (Xiao-Ru.Wang at genfys.slu.se) wrote:
> In article <Czs71y.F1o at cc.umontreal.ca>, cohenea at ERE.UMontreal.CA (Cohen Eric) says:
> >

> >We do an awful lot of SDS-PAGE work and we use the Biorad protein
> >electrophoresis Protean II xi system. Sometimes, the glass plates
> >or even the sandwich clamps that hold the plates break in the middle of
> >the run. After trying out the cooling systems, we still have this
> >problem from time to time.

> We have the same problem with Biorad´s Protean II xi system.  Glass plats
> break very often during sandwich set-up or during the run.  We cope with the
> problem by visiting a glass work-shop to cut 50 spare plats for lab storage.

Although in our lab we have a regular throughput of glass plates (since they
break often during setup or disassembly of the apparatus) I have never
observed (yet :-) breaking during the run or breaking of the clamps. And
yes, we also get our spare plates from a glass shop :-)

--Cornelius.

--
/* Cornelius Krasel, Abt. Lohse, Genzentrum, D-82152 Martinsried, Germany  */
/* email: krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de                 fax: +49 89 8578 3795  */