Clogged G-amidite lines

Jack M. Bernstein, M.D. Bernstein at WSU-ID.Dayton.OH.US
Tue Nov 29 14:52:44 EST 1994

In article <B600DA2E01B938D9 at office.mmc.org> varyc.mmcri at OFFICE.MMC.ORG (Varyc) writes:
>From: varyc.mmcri at OFFICE.MMC.ORG (Varyc)
>Subject: Clogged G-amidite lines
>Date: 28 Nov 1994 13:14:08 -0800

>Hi netters,
>I would like to know if users of the ABI DNA synthesizers have been plagued with
>the precipitating
>G-phosphoramidite line problem. And, if so, what lor surrounds this problem and
>is there a fix?

>Cal Vary
>MMCRI

Yes, this is a very frustrating problem we have had frequently.  From what I
can gather from all the service techs that have visited, the G-phos is just
extremely sensitive to ANY amount of moisture, no matter how slight.  One
thing we have been doing lately is flushing all the phosphoramidites back into
their bottles immediately after the last synthesis of the day.  The logic is
not to let any phos sit in the lines as moisture can diffuse across them and
cause crystals to form.  This seems to be working well.

Erik Gustafson