Could we direct PCR of human hair shafts?

Dieter Deforce ddeforce at allserv.rug.ac.be
Wed Nov 30 09:17:46 EST 1994

Wasun Chantratita (asmsi002 at CMU.CHIANGMAI.AC.TH) wrote:
: Dear Netter
:  Though, human DNA is more easily extracted from the roots of hairs, hair
: bulbs are preferable for PCR, but plucking hairs to obtain the bulbs is
: very painful. My question is would it be possible for direct PCR from the
: shafts of hairs instead? Someone said that it is impossible to PCR hair
: shafts since they contain only melanin.

: Thank you in advance

: Wasun Chantratita, Ph.D.
: Department of Clinical Microbiology
: Faculty of Associated Medical Sciences
: Chiang Mai University
: Chiang mai 50200
: Thailand-
 Hy
Hair shafts only contain Mitochondrial DNA and no genomic DNA
--
Drs.Apr. Dieter Deforce     Harelbekestraat 72,9000 Gent,Belgium
E-mail : Dieter.Deforce at rug.ac.be
tel : 09/221.99.43
fax : 09/220.66.88
Laboratory of Farmaceutical Biotechnology