Are Ab's phosphorylated?

Michele Fuortes mfuortes at med.cornell.edu
Sat Oct 1 19:18:34 EST 1994

Hom) writes:
>>I know antibodies are glycosylated, but are they phosphorylated?
>>--
>Yes they are. I found that you the hard way while doing in vitro
>phosphorylation experiments :-(
>
>Annette
>ah690549 at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu

I do not think they are "normally" phophorylated. But during in vitro
phosphorylation experiments basically every protein around that has
serine, threonine or tyrosine gets phosphorylated. So much for "kinase
specificity". It's obvious that in non physiological conditions (ie.
kinase assay on IPs) the specificity goes down the drain

Michele Fuortes, MD/PhD
Dept. Cell Biology and Anatomy
Cornell University Medical College
1300 York Ave - Box 57