How do you transform aorta-smooth muscle cells?

aeschba at fmi.ch aeschba at fmi.ch
Mon Oct 3 09:34:42 EST 1994

Dear netters,
I am trying to transiently transform human aorta-smooth muscle cells (ATCC# CRL-
1999). I4ve tried Ca-phosphate, lipofection (DOTAB from Boeringer), as well as
DEAE-dextran-transformations, but I haven't obtained any expression with various
vectors (CMV- and SV40-promoter driven luciferase). I've tried different time
points after transformation, as well as different DNA concentrations. The used
methods are probably simply very harsh for this cell type and basically kill the
cells. MCF-7 cells, on the other hand, did transform nicely using the same
techniques in my hands.
Does anybody have experience with CRL-1999 cells? Any comments and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks

Dr. Roger Aeschbacher
c/o CIBA
Pharma Research
Mauerstr. K 681-304