Hair Follicle DNA Fingerprinting

Karen Browning brwnng at CCWF.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Oct 3 15:23:15 EST 1994

Ann Kleinschmidt (akleinsc at bio7.alleg.edu) wrote:
: students who are not familiar with the use of radioactive compounds.  Does
: anyone have a protocol for isolation of DNA from hair follicles?  Could
: you also point me in the correct direction for kits for PCR fingerprinting
: that are not dependent upon radioactivity.

: Please send responses directly to me.  My email address is
: akleinsc at alleg.edu

:Please post on the net also. I'd like to incorporate the info in a course.

:Shiao Wang

We do a PCR experiment based on the DS180 typing kit from P/E Express for an
undergraduate biochemisty laboratory.

We use hair roots as the source of DNA.  I do not know how many hair roots
you would need to get enough to do a restriction digest for fingerprinting.

If you would like a copy of our experiment, let me know.
Karen S. Browning, Ph.D.               (email) brwnng at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry    (fax)   512-471-8696
The University of Texas at Austin      (phone) 512-471-4562
Austin, TX  78712