Dye to colour DNA samples for PCR

Paul N Hengen pnh at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Thu Oct 6 13:53:58 EST 1994

Shiao Wang wrote:

: Does anyone know of a biologically inert dye for colouring DNA samples used
: in PCR ?  I have tried using a 1:1500 dilution of the food colouring
: 'Brilliant Blue' but this has drastically reduced PCR yields.  Suggestions
: very welcome.

> We have been doing PCR with 0.1 mM cresol red final conc directly in the PCR
> reaction mixture. One mM tartrazine will also work but the yellow color is
> more difficult to see.

I haven't used them, but I can point you to the reference...

@article{Hoppe1992,
author = "B. L. Hoppe
     and B. M. Conti-Tronconi
     and R. M. Horton",
title = "Gel-loading dyes compatible with PCR",
journal = "BioTechniques",
volume = "12",
number = "5",
pages = "679-680",
comment = "tartrazine (Sigma T-0388) or Cresol Red (Sigma C-9877)",
year = "1992"}

* - -  Methods FAQ list -> http://fconvx.ncifcrf.gov:2001/~pnh/info.html  - - *