Luciferase as internal control

Graham Atherton grggta at picr.cr.man.ac.uk
Thu Oct 6 08:51:17 EST 1994

We are beginning to use luciferase as an internal control for CAT assays.
We find that the levels of luciferase activity varies up to 2x between
replicates (ie two independant plates of cells which receive half each
of the same CaPO4/DNA ppt) and up to 20x between samples (ie ppt's
containing different DNA's). This level of variation is far higher than
when we used other reporter genes as internal control - is it likely to
be a genuine measure of DNA uptake? These levels of variation seem
very high to us.
Graham Atherton
grggta at picr.cr.man.ac.uk