PFGE and YACs

Elizabeth Rosenberg erosenbe at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Sun Oct 9 18:29:16 EST 1994

Hi all!

I am posting this for a friend, and I don't work with yeast at all myself
although we do use PFGE extensively.  She would like to use PFGE to
identify, characterize and isolate YAC chromosomes.  Although I can help
her with the various considerations for PFGE, she would like some
information about the possibility of extracting the YAC from the gel
itself.  Does anyone have any protocols for this?  Also, what sort of
quantities would you be able to recover this way?  In addition, how
practical would it be to use Southern blotting on these gels specifically
for the YAC?  Would the signal be large enough to detect?  I know these
are general questions, but any suggestions are appreciated.  I'm
currently having intermittent problems with my e-mail, so if you could
post responses to the group for now so that I can read them.

Thanks,  Beth

--
Beth Rosenberg                    erosenbe at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Cross Cancer Institute