retroviral DNA preps

Olav Hungnes ohungnes at bioslave.uio.no
Mon Oct 10 07:34:50 EST 1994

Lorena C. Lim (altur at post.its.mcw.edu) wrote:
: Dear Netters:

: i need to know if naked retroviral DNAs are infectious. My P.I. said the DNA
: preps should all be done in the hood, which sounds silly to me.

: i appreciate any reply

Yes, the retroviral DNA is in principle infectious. Cells transfected in
culture will produce virus, an in light of recent data on in vivo
expression of injected plasmid DNA (DNA vaccines) this could perhaps also
happen with retroviral DNA inoculated into body cells. I vaguely remember
someone saying that the DNA is about one million-fold less infectious
than the virus itself. So don't splash it about.

Olav
__
Olav Hungnes                 olav.hungnes at embnet.uio.no
National Institute               Phone  (+47)22042200
of Public Health                 FAX    (+47)22353605
Oslo, NORWAY

Olav Hungnes                 olav.hungnes at embnet.uio.no